Expressions






Just trying out a range of expressions for each character. I want to keep the style very simple and obvious. Exaggeration of expressions will help my animation be easy to understand. 

I think having very clear and exaggerated expression is important in animation, I found a lot of character expression sheets when doing research into convincing expressions.
This example is from Pixar film Up.
This sheet is for the character Flynn from Disney's new film Tangled

From looking at examples like this I have found that a lot of expression is conveyed through the eyes. Most of the time if you cover up the rest of the face you are still able to tell what expression is being conveyed. I even found this to be true in real life, if you look in a mirror and cover the bottom half of your face and make expressions it is still very clear what type of expressions they are.
Obviously the rest of the face can add to the expression, when creating the expressions for my characters I will start with the eyes and make them convincing and then accentuate the expression using the mouth and other body parts.